We are so excited to partner with the Al Whittle Theatre at the Acadia Cinema on a new smartphone competition and festival, with grand prizes for different age categories, including Ross Creek film camps!
Find out more about Al Whittle, the man and his legacy here.
Scroll down to submit your film.
WHITFLIX SMARTPHONE FILM FESTIVAL TIMELINE:
Jury Announced: April 15, 2023
Submission Deadline: May 12, 2023
Finalists Announced: May 20, 2023
WhitFlix Festival: May 31, 2023
WHITFLIX SMARTPHONE FILM FESTIVAL PRIZES
The Whitflix Smartphone Film Festival has three age Categories with prizes
Ages 8-13: A full overnight scholarship to a week at Ross Creek Centre for the Arts film camp – $500 value
Ages 14-18: The Al Whittle Scholarship to the Ross Creek Summer Film Academy – $1500 value
Adults (Over 18): 10 tickets to the Whittle Film Series, 1 Studio Z rental – $150 value
Please note: Tuition scholarships include all meals, accommodations and program fees. Tuition scholarships for youth entrants are not transferable and winners are responsible for their own travel to the Ross Creek Centre for the Arts.
OUR SHARED VALUES AND ACCESSIBILITY
We want WhitFlix to encourage a love of filmmaking and be accessible. We hope to actively celebrate and elevate creative endeavours by women and girls, IBPOC (Indigenous, Black, Person of Colour) and LGBTQIA+ filmmakers. If filmmakers from traditionally marginalised communities need alternative ways to submit their work, please let us know by email or phone us at 902-582-3842.
WHITFLIX SMARTPHONE FILM FESTIVAL RULES
- Films must be shot on a smartphone or tablet, and can be no longer than 5 minutes in length.
- All entries must be submitted through our form at artscentre.ca/whats-on/whitflix by 11:59 pm on May 1, 2023
- Films must be completed after January 1, 2023.
- The film must be in MOV or MP4 file format. 4K, 2K, and 1080p resolution accepted.
- We accept and celebrate the diversity of our country and encourage submissions in English, French, Newcomer and/or Indigenous languages. (Submissions must include English subtitles.)
- The decision of the Judges and Selection Committee is final.
- The film may not have been shown in a theatre, online, or at a festival previously.
- Films may be in any genre, for instance Narrative (Comedy or Drama), Documentary, Animation, Experimental, Music Video
- Footage: Must be shot on smartphone(s) and/or tablet(s). If your Film’s narrative requires using a device not listed on the prohibited equipment list* (e.g. desktop/laptop camera), this is accepted as long as most of the footage is shot on smartphones/tablets.
- Animation and graphically produced films must be created on smartphones/tablets using its app(s).
- Audio: No restrictions. May use any audio equipment.
*Prohibited Equipment: DSLR, Mirrorless, Handycam Camcorders, Point-and-Shoot Cameras, GoPro and other similar devices
- Editing: No restrictions on editing software (does not need to be edited on smartphones/tablets).
- Use of Archival Footage: Archival footage is permitted as an aid to develop a story and does not need to be shot on smartphones/tablets, as long as you clear the copyrights before submitting. However, the use of archival footage will not be permitted for the entire duration of the Film if shot on devices other than smartphones/tablets.
- Copyrights: The Applicant must clear all copyrighted material(s) used in the final cut before submitting. Any issue(s) that may arise due to infringement of copyrights is the Applicant’s sole responsibility. Whitflix, The Ross Creek Centre for the Arts, our staff, volunteers, members, and affiliated organisations are not responsible for any infringement of copyrights.
Terms and Conditions:
- By submitting to Whitflix, the entrant agrees to allow their work for consideration (hereafter known as the “Work”) to be screened during the festival duration, at no charge to the festival. If any additional screenings are to take place, they will do so under mutual agreement between the entrant and Whitflix.
- For all Works submitted to Whitflix, entrants will be asked to provide a photo, self description for accessibility and bio.
- By submitting to Whitflix, you acknowledge copyright ownership of the Work. Further, you agree to have obtained the necessary permissions for any copyrighted material used in the Work (e.g. music).
- By submitting your work, you give Whitflix the following: non-exclusive, irrevocable rights to use and display your name, voices, photograph, likeness and biography for use in advertising, publicising and promoting the Work in any media.
- You acknowledge that, if under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must agree to the terms of the Filmmaker/Guardian Release on your behalf.
- Whitflix reserves the right to disqualify any submission at any time if there is any question of ownership, copyright infringement or any sign of disrespect (in any form of media) to the festival or its representatives. Whitflix will not be held responsible for any inclusion of uncleared materials in your film. (e.g. copyrighted music used without permission.)
- You understand and acknowledge that you will be automatically subscribed to Ross Creek’s newsletter and may opt out at any time.
- Works already posted on YouTube or other public video sites before the Whitlfix festival screening cannot be screened in Whitflix competition. We ask that works submitted to Whitflix not be screened at venues outside of Whitflix, and that they not be posted publicly online until the festival is over.
- Works that are official selections are not permitted to withdraw from Whitflix after May 10.
- Whitflix reserves the right to update or modify these terms and policies without prior notice.